Monday 14 March 2016

Happy birthday to my dearest Sai Mui



Sai Mui, it just occurred to me as I started writing this post that this year marks the second decade of our friendship. 20 years. That's about a quarter of one's average lifespan and that's how long we've been in each others' lives.

We first met in university but didn't start becoming close until our second year. You exposed me to the world of clubbing and we sure had lots of fun. I remember how you got me on the "consumption initiation programme" after showing your displeasure to my Ribena habit. Hahaha. That programme turned out to be a real eye opener, didn't it? When push comes to shove, you were the only one that could handle and tame me. I remember those instances fondly. In our uni years we went through a multitude of life events and good or bad they brought us ever closer together. We had a bond, a bond that continues to strengthen and deepen to this day. 

After graduation we went had to go our separate ways. I tried my best to stay in my second home but being stateless and the profession that I am in it was an insurmountable challenge. I returned to my country of birth and began my practice there eventually. But I was eager to stay close to you in anyway I can. Thank to budget airlines like AirAsia I was able to see you once a month or every other month. It certainly didn't help with my savings but I never regretted any of those trips. You had your own place and we'd hang out with the others for tea or a meal and then go back to spend time with each other talking about all sorts of stuff. I love how we could be so open and comfortable with each other. Over time you went on to excel in your practice and became your own boss. I, on the other hand, decided to leave everything behind and start anew in another country, for something called aikido.

I want you to know that I am very proud of what you have achieved thus far and I know there will be more to come. I also want to tell you how lucky I am to have a friend like you; loving, supportive and never judgmental. You've helped me through some very difficult times and held me together where I would have otherwise fallen.

Most of all, I could not be more thrilled to see you finding you partner in life, who will be there for you for the rest of your life. Now that there is someone to take care of you, 我就放心了.

Happy birthday my dearest friend. May you continue to be the wonderful person that you are and I wish for all things good in your life. As we both cross the half way mark of our lives, let us make true our plans to celebrate it together. 

I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment