Monday 13 April 2009

To Grandpa, a truly great man.



It is yet another new day of a new week and nearly one month since you left us. I still can't believe that you are gone. Grandma called out your name this morning as she was going through some old clothes. I asked her if she wanted to speak to you and she replied that she is so used to calling your name. Your wheelchair still sits in the living room and I really wish you were sitting in that chair everytime I walk into your house. My heart weeps whenever I see the empty chair. Are you smiling down at us from heaven?

You never spoke much but I know how much love and care you have for all of us. You dedicated you whole life to your family and your work, never uttering a single complaint. You made sure that everyone of your children receives a decent education. We were never short of anything.

You love family and you love us. I remember with much fondness of the time you brought your grandchildren to Kuching for a holiday. I remember how you and grandma were so worried when the currents brought Ling and I out to sea no matter how hard we paddled. We made it back eventually but not before giving you a mighty scare. Then you brought us to the pool and told us to swim for our lives because you are playing the shark. We screamed and swam and had so much fun. I could see the contented smile on your face from the joy that our company gave you. I will never see that again.

As I got older you stopped talking to me as much as you did. But you never stopped caring for me. You never stopped loving me. Time and again you will ask about me, my father and my brothers because we all matter to you. You would lecture me about the importance of education, because you never had much of it and made sure I am well educated. You would reprimand me whenever I misbehave, because you want me to know the importance of being respectable and acting with integrity. You would ask who cooked a particular dish because you wanted to eat my mother's cooking. You would always steal glances at me because you want to see me for just that one more time.

Despite coming to Brunei with nothing but the clothes on your back, you married a wonderful and supportive wife, bore 9 beautiful children and they gave you even more beautiful grandchildren, and in the process you made you mark as a giant in the construction industry. You were a man of honesty, responsibility and integrity. We are the legacy that you leave behind. I never realized how sophisticated you were, until it was too late. You time on earth brought forth us, and when you left us you brought us together.

I am glad that during the last few weeks of your time here I was there to spend it with you, right up until the time just before you were called back to the Lord. We spoke and held hands all the time, I fed you and you would tell me not to overly mush the vegetables. I stroked your soft grey hair as you rest. You would look sometimes to see if I was still next to you. Even at a time when you were not conscious you would hold my hand tightly whenever I held yours. At a time when we were uncertain of how long you would still be with us, you gave me the chance to say goodbye.

Grandpa, I just want to tell you that I am so proud to have you as my grandfather. Your blood flows in my body. Fond and loving memories of you and our time together are forever etched in my mind. I will strive to live by the principles that you have instilled in your life and be a good and giving person. I will love, take care and honour grandma whom you have entrusted on us.

I hope that I made you proud. I hope that we all made you proud.

Goodbye grandpa. May you rest in peace in the eternal kingdom of the Lord Almighty. I love you.


with love,
your granddaughter Chui



1 comment: