Wednesday 30 December 2009

Heading towards gemuksville



It's official: I am heading towards the land of abundance!!!

As I look through photographs of myself over the past 10 years, I realized that slowly but surely I have changed in my physical outlook. Yes I somewhat matured and there is more feminity oozing out of me, but some part of my body are also oozing with excess lemak. I would know why- as you hit the 30's your metabolism slows down and its all part of the aging process. but then again, the fault of such weight gain is entirely mine.

I have a tendency to overindulge. I have a sweet tooth, very sweet tooth. I still eat like I do during my tennis days. I snack at night. I LOVE to eat. I think you get a very good picture of what I am trying to say.

Bottomline, very little self control.

I started gaining weight in my late 20's and that sent me on a downward spiral of low self esteem and mild depression. I wanted to lose weight but couldnt overcome my demons. Then I met a friend who showed me how he did it. He explained to me that the most imporant thing about losing weight is to have a balanced diet. Exercise is a supplement. What matters is what goes in inside your body and if you don't sort it out no amount of exercise will help.

Raise your metabolism I was told. I started eating 5 times a day. My meal consists fo 40% proptein, 40% carbohydrates and 20% healthy oils. Weight loss should be gradual and no more than 2 pounds a week. No fried food, no sugar (NooooOOOoooooo!) , no alcohol ( not a problem as I don't drink) and no processed food.

Go on calorie deificit. If I need 2000 calories a day to lose weight I'd take in only 1500 calories. Divide that by 5 meals and its 300 calories per meal.

Burn more fat with weight training. I'd do my cardio in the morning and weights in the evening. Later on I would just exercise in the evening and do alternate weight training plus core conditioning.

I did that for 2 years and never felt better. I look good and feel good. But after that though I started to go on a sweet tooth rampage and gained back the weight. For someone who's on the extreme end of the spectrum I've come to realize that I need to do things with moderation. I can still do my 5 meal thing but I need to control what I eat. I can still indulge on my likes but I must not overdo it. Only that way can I maintain lifelong well-beingness.

So what went wrong? I have gained 2 inches on my chest, 5 inches round my waist and 2 inches round my hips.

I know what went wrong. Please refer to paragraph 3 above.

I want to be healthy, I want to feel good about myself. I want to live a meaningful life and do the things I want to do. I want to still have full function of all my faculties after retirement right until the time the Lord calls me home. But all this takes work and effort and I am not doing it.

As 2010 approaches, I have in my mind a goal. It is not to lose as much as I can so I can look nice in my clothes. Neither is it so satisfy my vanity. My goal to to achieve physical well being.

Have a great year ahead everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment