Wednesday 8 August 2012

Iriminage = talk time?

I am sure you have had times when you are feeling down, there are some pick-me-up memories that you would recall to make yourself feel better. They are usually the little things, aren't they? 

The first few months in Japan has had its hard times; I couldn't speak the language, oblivious to the culture and faced strong barriers in inter-personal communication. But there were certain things that happened in the dojo that really made a difference for me. As I stepped into Honbu Dojo for the first time this year, I was intimidated by the atmosphere, the aura of its teachers and the many good and talented aikidoists that train in our midst. 

It was obvious that I am a foreigner. Am I here for on vacation? Schooling? Employed? You get looks from the regulars and after looking at your face the next thing they look at is your name that is embroidered on your left sleeve. I only have my Chinese name written on my keikogi and it is not easy to read the kanji. The senseis know me by my Christian name so I am starting to wonder whether I should embroider my Christian name on my next keikogi purchase. 

Anyhow, I spent one month in the beginners' class to learn the basics before plucking up the courage to move up to the second floor. I felt very inadequate at my level and still feel the same way. In one of my first few beginners' classes, the sensei taking the class went around training with the students. He knew me from our rendezvous back home. I thought it was going to be just taking ukemi before sensei moved on. I remember the technique clearly, it was shomenuchi iriminage. As the friendly teacher that he is, he took the opportunity to welcome me to Japan whilst executing the throw at me. I was shocked but managed to utter a response as I break my fall.

To this day, I still wear a big smile when I remember that scene. The place, the technique, the person and the timing made it all so amusing. Of course, that was not the only incident where things were said or conversation took place over the execution of techniques. Most of them happens during iriminage. But I just feel that sensei has immaculate timing when it comes to talking to me at the dojo. There was another incident which were alot more funny but that will remain unsaid.

I am very thankful for his words, at any time and anywhere. Because of the little things that he did, it gave me that much more to carry on with.


No comments:

Post a Comment