Thursday 15 July 2010

JENESYS Martial Arts dispatch programme

I was very happy to see Irie sensei and Oyama sensei again after we first met in Brunei in March this year for the Hombu Instruction Tour. I did not think that I would see them again since I've heard that Hombu Dojo dispatches different instructors every year to countries under its development programme. So when JICE came up with the martials arts dispatch programme I was wondering who Hombu Dojo will dispatch this time. I was thrilled when I received the news. Hombu Dojo also sent a female aikidoka by the name of Nakada Akiko san. I met her 2 months ago at Hombu Dojo through Yokota sensei. I really enjoyed training with her.
JICE's martial arts dispatch programme involved 3 martial arts namely Aikido, Karate and Kendo. The training lasted 4 days with a martial arts festival and demonstration hosted by BJFA. The programme was conducted in collaboration with the Embassy of Japan and BJFA. The programme was conducted very successfully and this time we had the benefit of an interpreter Tezuka san who did a wonderful job bringing us closer together eliminating the language barrier. Miss Nomoto of JICE was very friendly and accommodating and it was a pleasure to have worked with her.
As for training some of us were worried that we would not be able to keep up with the training session or even last all 12 sessions. But 2 of us made it!
Then there was the demonstration. BJFA wanted a showcase from both and Japanese and Bruneian martial artists. We were concerned about doing the demonstration because we are such a new organization, and to be demonstrating along the ranks of Instructors from Hombu Dojo, pressure desu ne.. But under the constant guidance and supervision of Irie sensei the demonstration was carried out smoothly and everyone was happy with the result. As long as "inda memalukan" on our side we only do what we can deliver and not hope to impress with flashy but poor executed moves. As always sensei's demonstration was beautiful.
I am so glad that this programme took place and we could train more under Irie sensei. Oyama sensei took one session and we learnt alot about taking ukemi and being an uke. He emphasized on natural movements and kept saying "no posing, just natural". He implored us to think about what he shared and to be conscious about it when we train. That was the first time I took a class from Oyama sensei and I do like his approach as well. Actually I am always happy to train aikido whenever there is a chance. Empty your cup everytime and you'll learn something new. 
Aikido is very new in Brunei and we need all the help we can get. I hope there will be more programmes like this. I cannot wait for the next seminar.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment