Sunday 11 July 2010

The passing of a giant star


I received news from the IAF on its Facebook website that Tamura Nobuyoshi shihan, 8th dan, has passed away. I was very saddened by the news. It is a great loss to the Aikido community and my deepest condolences to Tamura sensei's family and friends.

I do not profess to know Tamura sensei personally, but I had the fortune to train at his session at the 10th IAF Congress and Seminar at Tanabe, Japan. I had started Aikido about one year before and was really very excited to join the Congress and Seminar. As always I would go right to the front when the session started and follow in earnest the warming up and stretching that followed. What caught my attention was the kokyu exercise that Tamura sensei did. In our training sessions back home, we would just stretch and start training. But after attending a few sessions before Tamura sensei's I had come to realise that this prelude to training is integral to what follows after. This exercise is to prepare one's body and mind for the training that follows and everyone has a different expression of how that preparation is to take place.

Although I do not understand the exercise at that time, I tried my best to follow as closely as I could. During the exercise sensei's eyes were closed and I could see the concentration and serenity that exuded from him. His movements were slow and controlled and seemingly relaxed. I could start to see how this would have an effect on the training later on, as if its preparing you to immerse into another world, a world of Aikido.

Thereafter training started. The most notable technique that was demonstrated as katatedori shihonage. That technique left a very deep impression in my mind because I saw how "immovable" he was. Tamura sensei would call anyone from the crowd and move them with ease. But when they were asked to do so it was like trying to move a big rock. Tamura sensei was even throwing men nearly 5 times his size! I remember exchanging looks of shock and admiration with HSB sensei when that happened.

I wanted to feel the technique from sensei himself. so I plucked up the courage to approach sensei as he was near me and asked him to show me the technique again. With a smile he a grabbed my wrist. He then gestured to the cameraman to come over so that this moment may be captured on film.


I was then asked to execute the technique.

Obediently I moved as I what I thought I saw. I could not move sensei. I tried again in several ways but still to no avail. He smiled at me at asked me to grab his wrist. Just as I grabbed his wrist sensei started to move and next thing I know I was down on the floor. I could not really articulate the process but it felt like he was moving me as part of my body. As I landed on the floor I looked at sensei. He smiled at me and asked me to continue with my practice. I tried very hard to remember that feeling all throughout the session.


After the session ended I went looking for Tamura sensei to take a photograph with him. I didn't have any sort of ID book from the federation or dojo for him to sign as a momento so the next best thing is to take a picture. Tamura sensei was really friendly. He grabbed my shoulder and happily obliged to my request. I felt like I was with my grandpa. I left the session that day with a very good feeling.



HSB and I met Tamura sensei again at Kumano before the demonstration started. I really liked his attire and was commenting to HSB on how cool he was. Again we asked to take pictures and this time I blinked my eyes when our photograph was taken. I asked for a second take due to my blinking and he said to me with a smile "next time, please do not close your eyes". From hindsight maybe he made that statement beyond the context of photograph taking? Make life a good ride, don't close your eyes!

Looking back at all this I am so glad that I went for the Congress instead of waiting until "you're more experienced or more learned or advanced blah blah blah". That is not true. I went because I wanted to learn as much about Aikido as I can. Time waits for no man and once you miss the opportunity it will never turn back for you. Because I made the decision to attend this seminar, I got to meet one of the aikido masters and O Sensei's direct students and trained under one of his sessions before he bid adieu to us.

You were a bright shining star in the realm of Aikido and now you would be in paradise, reunited with O Sensei. Rest In peace Tamura sensei. You will always be in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment