Thursday 1 July 2010

It's been a crazy month. I am asking myself where did all 24 hours of the day go and there is always not enough time for this or that! I would like to spend a day or 2 not doing anything at all but just relax or vegetate. But no light at the end of the tunnel yet...so I soldier on.

Apart from work (so what's new)? I have been busy with some preparations for the upcoming Japan Brunei Martials Arts Festival. This is an event jointly held by Japan International Cooperation Center, Embassy of Japan and Brunei Japan Friendship Association. The festival will feature 3 Japanese Martial Arts namely Aikido, Karate and Kendo. The Aikido programme will run from 5th-8th July 2010 will training sessions to be held at Aikidamashii Dojo. There is a demonstration on Wednesday evening, 7th July 2010 to be held on the 8th Floor of Orchid Garden Hotel. I am going to be one of sensei's uke so we have been having separate training sessions to prepare from the demonstration. There are some concerns about what we are going to do for the demonstration because we are very new to Aikido. That sentiment is understandable so we try to keep it simple.

Last night we had some guests who were supposed to join us for a joint training session at 6pm to prepare for the demonstration but he decided to turn up at 7:15pm with different ukes named. So that means sensei cannot conduct his normal training sessions with other students. Good thing senpai N was there to help out with the kids.

It was very tiring as with all other sessions because we were at it non-stop. Being a slow and heavy uke certainly did not help! We stuck to the kihonwaza and at with tachi, hanmi handachi and at suwari. I got the tachi position which suits me just fine! C got the other 2 so it is alot more tiring for him I suppose. We managed to get a video recording of a segment of the training. I was very humbled by what I saw in the clip. I was tired, slow and not very responsive. And to think that all this time I thought there was some improvement in the way that I respond and move as an uke. I was rather wrong.

It is my sincere hope that I do not cause any problems for sensei at the demonstration. *fingers crossed*

I think this time around if possible I would want to request Irie sensei to teach us on how to be an uke. Without a good uke the traning would not be enjoyable. ( I know, it works both ways). It will be VERY VERY tiring for me the next week. Morning afternoon and evening sessions and these are not your social sessions where you get to adjust your dogi all the time and take frequent water breaks during training. This is the real deal.

One interesting point. A shodan from AMA is joining the programme and I am very much looking forward to training with our Malaysian counterpart. I am sure everything will turn out to be fine.

Minasan gambarimashyo!


No comments:

Post a Comment