Sunday 14 October 2012

The little things - the shoulder pat


This little thing came about from an aikido event.

I was at a get-together party on the first night of an aikido training camp. It was the 8th of its kind. 8 is an auspicious number to the chinese and looks like the symbol for infinity when laid horizontally. Due to my dan rank I was seated at the corner of the dojo along with some members from HD. I finally managed to indulge in some respectable conversation after 9 months of study but was still nervous and feeling inadequate about my communication ability via Japanese.

As the party progressed you made your rounds with the members and before I realized you came to our group. In fact, you sat next to me! Due to my nervousness and apprehension, I remained silent after the formal greeting. Conversation followed and I listened quietly. Then you turned around, gave me a smile and a double pat on my left shoulder. My reaction was a smile and a deep nod. I am not sure, but I felt, at that point, that it was enough for the both of us. Your gesture, my response, mutually and fully appreciated. 

Thank you for the shoulder pat and everything that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment