Thursday 21 August 2008

Am I ready?

I have been having a really good time at aikido classes this week. I feel that I have been making some progress in applying what I understand on the mat. Much to my glee sensei informed that that the dojo is having a seminar this weekend to be conducted by Zainuddin Abd Khalic sensei, 3rd dan and President of Aikikai Malaysia. He visits regularly, being the sensei of my sensei , Hj Sabtu sensei, and conducts seminars for aikidokas in Brunei. Aikido is relatively new in Brunei with the Brunei Aikido Federation formed in 2005 wherein my sensei was one of the founding members.

I noticed in the seminar programme that there will be an upgrading session this Saturday. Hmmm I thought, why am I feeling nervous? I texted my sensei to ask whether I am due for grading and all I got was "just be prepared...he he he". Great, just the answer I need...

One thing about aikido is that there are no competitions so generally in terms of finding impetus to train would be looking forward to upgrading and seminars. Why there are no competitions in aikido is because aikido essentially is a way of life. It is about you becoming one with the world. So if you and the world are one there is no need to competition as you don't have to prove anything to anyone. It is your own development and how far you can go.

Of course that begs the question: "Isn't all martial arts a way of life?" I dare not branch into this topic because my only exposure in martial arts is in aikido. Having practiced it for only a little over a year I am still very much in kindergarten in terms of understanding aikido. but I try to learn more about O sensei's teachings and what is it that he wants us to learn from aikido. I am but offering a limited view of how I see aikido, a view which will evolve over time.

Back to being prepared.

When I started aikido I knew that it would be something that I will enjoy immensely. I do not know how fast I will catch on and I soon I will progress through the ranks. My aim was never to obtain the black belt (although it would be good if I eventually do) but to learn aikido, for now. As time passed by it cemented by passion on aikido, knowing that it will be a lifelong practice for me. With that in mind, I took my time, taking my gi with me whenever I travel and just visiting dojos and making new friends and to just share learning experiences with one another. Then I started reading books on aikido. I started asking more questions. I just want to know more and more. I have a great desire for aikido and that is what is keeping me going. So I was never in a hurry to go for grading.

For an adult student you start off at 6th kyuu and students like us are called mudanshas, which loosely means students who don't have black belts. After clocking a certain number of hours and subject to the recommendation of your sensei, you may proceed to be graded for 5th kyuu, 4th kyuu and so on until you reach 1st kyuu. After you have attained your 1st kyuu the next grading will be for shodan (1st dan black belt). Once you obtain your shodan you be known as a yudansha. It's very different though seeing an aikidoka with a black belt. All mudanshas wear a white belt but some dojos in other jusrisdictions do practice a coloured belts system.

I am now in 4th kyuu after having gone through 2 gradings, the last of which was in April this year. It was quite nerve-wracking considering the fact that all you are tested on are techniques that you have been learning day in day out. I personally don't think I can manage a good pass and if I can't I would rather be failed. However it is not my call and if sensei thinks I am ready then I will just have to try my best. Good thing I took up Japanese language courses this year. It has certainly helped during practice.

I had my camera with my when I went for practice yesterday and I thought I would take some photos of the dojo.



The dojo is on the first floor to the on the left corner lot.



The interior of the dojo.



The jo and bokken for suburi and weapons training.



My hakama, which was left at the cleaners for 2 months before I collected it haha.



Dojo's name on sensei's sleeve.



Ali senpai can't wait for some action!

The dojo recently moved from another unit in the same building so not everything is in place yet. It is also smaller than the previous place but I like this dojo better because for one thin its doesn't have the distracting the worrying pillar in the middle of the dojo and the place look warmer and more inviting.

Sensei decided to put us on a weight loss programme and made us to kaiten nage techniques galore the whole night. Doing kaiten ukemi (rolling breakfall) is actually very very exhausting! I was wearing my hakama for the first time after some months and was worried that it would pose some impediment to my shikko but all I did was kaiten ukemi so my concern was unnecessary.

Sensei took great pains to refine our execution and I took some pictures and videos of my 2 senpais in action for their review and feedback.



Hj Sabtu sensei giving instructions in class.



Revision and refining execution



Excuting a locking technique.



sensei. " remember, when you execute hanmi handachi shomenuchi
dai sankyo kita mesti buat ani, ani sama ani... supaya ani..."



Showing us how's done, and yes we do a fair bit of shikko which explains the black patches hehe.

We had another mock test to see how we are getting on with our techniques and I notice a distinct patterm in Chiong senpai, if its a technique he is unsure of he always volunteers to start as the uke! hahaha. But hey everyone loves a good uke. I had wanted very much to stay back later but had a dinner function to go to, which turned out to be an event. Another awesome end to a day.

I am counting the hours til the seminar tomorrow, which reminds me that I need to apply for leave for tomorrow afternoon. I am just so very excited. Ready for some action this weekend Chui?

No comments:

Post a Comment