Tuesday 19 August 2008

Oh my knees!

It was rather slow day today. I was struggling to get up to speed at the office and some feel tired and unmotivated. My body was very uncomfortable from all the rashes and itchiness. So I decided to MSN my Sai Mui in KL to see what she is up to. What ensued was a rather long online chat. There were some developments in her life that caused me great concern, but as we chatted I realized that she is fully aware of her situation. She wanted me to lend her an ear, not to tell her what she already know. I should have known...As I constantly complain to her about not having anyone to talk to here, she is not much better off over there either. The chat took a different turn after that. We spoke about our plan for our dive trip in September, accompanying her for some bag shopping, positive things that we look forward to. As usual work caught up with us and we went back to our respective mountains.

Not long after the lunch bell rang and and off I go to meet a friend for lunch. He showed me his right middle finger from which half a phalanx was severed when he tried to separate his pet dogs from a fight. There its more to his story but it shall remain between the two of us.

Time passes by so quickly and next thing I know it is time to go home. I had time to watch some telly. So sad that Liu Xiang was forced to withdraw from the 110m hurdles due to an old injury. I saw the footage of the false start and the look on his face as it grimaced from pain and disappointment. There was so much riding on his race. He must be gutted.

Got myself ready for aikido class and was wondering what is in store tonight. NTC senpai and MN senpai attended training and sensei decided to train us on some 3rd kyuu techniques and put our shikko skills to the test. We practiced 3 techniques in hanmi handachi position (nage/tori seated, uke standing) We practiced hanmi handachi shomenuchi iriminage, hanmi handachi katatedori shihonage (omote and ura) and hanmi handachi shomenuchi kotegaeshi. We could all execute the techniques, but they need to be refined. I also needed to remember the variations of the techniques executed as my grading is imminent from the way things are going. I would prefer to take my time and just be at 4th kyuu for now but if sensei thinks that I am up for it and recommends for upgrading, I will go for it.

I find many benefits in training with my senpai. Take musubi for instance. I had always thought that musubi is necessarily the connection establish through physical contact but it seems that it is not necessarily so. Musubi is mutual, so even if there is no physical contact per se, musubi can still be established between uke and nage/tori in consensus. For example as the uke attempts to execute a katatedori you may have already started moving even before he grabs your wrist. The technique is still executed because the uke knows the intent of the nage/tori, in the context of training.

As for knowing the intent of the nage/tori, that is something that I am still trying to grasp. But from training this evening, I have an idea of what that is like. Being an uke is always tough, but by being the uke will also benefit you as a nage/tori. I am finding it difficult to articulate my thoughts on this topic, but suffice to say that I really enjoyed class tonight.

I also remember now why I fear shihonage so much.

Sensei decided to give all of us a mock test at the end of the class. I was tested on ushiro ryotedori dai ikkyo, dai nikkyo, dai yonkyo and dai gokyo. These are locking techniques. Problem with yonkyo, as usual but I am getting there hahaha. There may be a seminar at the end of this week which I am very much looking forward to. Hopefully it materializes. The training continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment