Thursday 28 May 2009

"you are free to go"



Those 5 words have different meaning to different people in different circumstances. for some it may be a phrase they hear regularly on dispensation of service. It may also be a phrase that a parent says to his child who has served his domestic detention order.

Today however, this phrase was said to someone who REALLY wanted to hear it. I will never forget the look on his face when it was said to him. He had a look of utter relief and uncontrollable joy as he looked upward to the ceiling. As he tilt his head to the floor, he buried his face in his hands, and uttered words of thank to the Almighty. This man was convicted of drug trafficking and was sentenced to be hung until dead. He fought for his innocence. His appeal was heard and granted by the Court of Appeal. After the Court delivered its sentence, the interpreter walked to the dock where he was sitting and said to him, "You are free to go."

I cannot imagine at all how much those 5 words must have meant to him at that time. His life was on the line and it was his last bet to prove his innocence. It paid off in the end and the cuffs will be taken off his wrists. He gets to go home, where he will be received by all, eat warm home cooked meals and spend time with his love ones. Now he can go and earn a living, provide for his family and have some quality of life.

I lamented the fact that I have to come back after obtaining my CLP. I lamented the fact that I lacked options because of my national status then I complained that there was nothing much to do. I feared that I will regress and rot. I worked hard at my job, look for things to do to spend my time, taking time out with family, go on holidays and visit my friends and relatives, take up scuba diving, train in aikido, drive a fast car. I refused to give up and try to make my life the best I can.

But if I didn't have some sort of freedom in the first place, I couldn't even complain of my lack of options. I wouldn't be doing whatever I am doing now and having a great time. I am sure the accused would want to trade his life for mine at any time.

Don't take anything for granted Chui, because you don't know what will happen tomorrow. As long as you keep yourself in good health, earn a decent living and keep away from the long arms of the law...there are plenty of things you are free to do.

Carpe Diem.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting... and yes i can't imagine what emotions the guy was going through when he heard that he was free to go... I think everyone takes freedom for granted until something makes them realise what a valuable thing it is.. You'll never know whats round the corner

    ReplyDelete