Saturday 1 November 2008

Musubi revisited

Training this week was simply awesome. I must say that my spirits were somewhat down last week during training. After having spent 10 days indulging in "aikido heaven" in Tanabe City, Japan with sensei, I was looking forward to some hard core training when I got back. Alas, on the first day of training after my return I found myself without a training partner as injuries and time constraints had prevented them from attending. So I trained with sensei on Monday.

As it turned out sensei Zizi made a surprise visit to Brunei on some personal business. I wasted no time in inviting him to train with us at the dojo the next day. Being familiar what he is like on the mat I was very happy that he agreed to do so. He met up with Hj Sabtu sensei in the afternoon and did some catching up. Chiong, Mohd Noh and Chin turned up for practice and sensei trained with us and shared with us the concept of musubi. Wah, that is all I can say for now. There was much demonstration and practice for the night but it is not something you can understand overnight. I have not seen S sensei so pumped up in a long time and my face so contorted!

We had an extra night of training on Friday by special request. The training focused on musubi and both S sensei and I spent the night feeling the connection with one another. The connection/blending/union is very hard to get but there were a few times where I knew I had made musubi because it just felt so right. Ahhh...I wish we have a permanent instructor with us because the shodans don't have any guidance at the moment save for visiting senseis and seminars. Shodans need training too. Further, some of the shodans don't seem very keen to further their training with their fellow shodans so it could be rather demotivating for some.

As for myself, I am just overwhelmed at what I have to learn at kyuu stage and could not fathom how some could just stop after obtaining their shodan...it is indeed just the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment