Friday 5 September 2008

The Long Wait

I arrived last night expecting to be the one to open the dojo but sensei was already there as he finished prayers early after breaking fast. After a little chit chat I started on my warming up. Chiong and Chin came soon after and class started shortly. This time around it felt much better. We practiced locking techniques from different attacks such as kata dori, muna dori and morote dori. We also praticed throwing techniques such as iriminage and shihonage. The common problem in the locking technique was the sankyo. We were also enlightened on the connection of he uke and nage specifically to yonkyo, which finds the uke doing one thing when the nage intends another. As always, the nikkyo is painful!

At the end of the class we were shown how to execute the koshi nage. I shuddered as I saw the uke flip from the technique. I was hospitalized once 11 years ago in KL for an aggravated back injury which I sustained during my tennis days because I carried a full basket of wet laundry in the wrong position. The agony I endure is still fresh in my mind. So let's just say that word koshinage brings to mind that the possibility of that very agony. I am still far away from being able to flip efficiently and right now my concern is keeping my back from being injued again. However, executing and receiving koshinage is inevitable if one wishes to continue in the path of aikido as it is in the syllabus, unless I am willing to remain in the kyuu that I am at for the rest of my natural life. I will have to face my demons one day. So what do I do about it? Train more.

It was a long day at work as much time was spent waiting. I provided some excitement to my learned friends when they found out, to their utter shock that I have decided to leave the profession. What are your plans they asked me. I don't know was my answer. Anything goes. There were murmurs questioning whether it was something my employers had done to me to make me not to leave the firm but the profession altogether. Bless them. If it wasn't for such nice people that I have been working with I would not have stayed that long.

The arrival of a package at the office this afternoon provided some yay factor for me. It was my long await underwater housing!



Very much white=very happy
















After reading the manual I realized that I there are certain things that I need to do to prepare the housing before I could use it for scuba diving. I have to grease the O-ring, insert silica gel, adjust buoyancy of housing with the metal 2 metal straps that comes with the housing etc etc...

I was not expecting to dive anytime soon until 25th of this month at Redang Island but since Jens and company are going out for dives this weekend I thought I'd join them this Sunday. I hope the viz will be good and the waters calm.

I am pleased to announce that after having dinner at Lemongrass tonight my tolerance level for spicy food has gone up a notch. Good news for me as it means I can try out more food hehehe. That being said my cravings this week includes pasta aglio and fantasia de Maria (chocolate pudding).



Now you know why...hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment