Tuesday 2 September 2008

Where is the harmony?

Arghhh, it was all I can say about my session last night at the dojo. Training starts later during the month of Ramadhan to take into account the breaking of fast and prayers. Sensei came up with a training programme for this month to see how we get on at it. It looks tough and it is tough.

As grading is in the books (some of us are taking WAY too long to go for grading...) and we have trained for so many hours, its time to up the training a little. Chin had been out of action due to an ankle injury and I was told before training began that the ankle is still feeling funny. So I took a mental note to be careful, safety always comes first. So the training when underway. I realised that I could not establish musubi with Chin during training. I was also holding back because I was concerned for her ankle. I must say it affected my mental state when I was training because I could not not wholeheartedly execute the techniques. My mind was not at peace. My focus wasn't there. It felt awkward because I didn't feel the unity between the uke and I, and the same goes for the nage and I. I reckon that having no training with your partner for sometime does makes things rusty.

The training format also made a difference in my mindset when I was training. The pressure creeps in. I'd ignore kuzushi, my flow would be lacking, I was not calm in anticipation plus I needed much correction as an uke. To say the least I found myself to be rather frustrated that night. Towards the end of the session I held myself together and let everything else go. I was in a better mental state after that, but still kicking myself in the arse for not doing what should be second nature to me by now. It goes to show that need to re-evaluate my mental strength. Perhaps some meditation is in order.

Oh well, you learn something everyday that's what I say. Plus, no matter how bad I feel, as long as I get a good night's sleep, tomorrow is another wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment