Saturday 13 September 2008

On underestimation

Never judge a book by its cover, it is often said. But how often do we look beyond the cover to pass judgment? We tend to estimate things of people by first glance, first impression or first contact. After the so called "first" we make up our minds about that thing or person. Often it ends up as an over or under estimation on our part. Like it or not, we do that all the time.

What I would like to write about in this post is on underestimation. Case on point, the popular series known as "Spirits of love" or "意難忘" which pronounced in pinyin is Yi Nan Wang. I came across this show nearly 3 years ago on one of my frequent trip to my " second home" ie Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. After supper my aunt suddenly remembered that she had a show to catch, so I stayed with her to see what is the show that she's going to watch after midnight on a weekday.

She was just in time as the show was playing the theme song in introductory credits. I frowned and asked her, "are you watching a Hokkien show?" The reply was, "yes but you have to watch it, it is really gooooooood!" Having nothing better to do I thought I would just indulge. Having come from a Mandarin and English educated background, I must admit that I find the Minan dialect that the Taiwanese speak to be rather, how should I put this, peculiar. In other words, I just wasn't use to it. I initially found the story and scenes to be overly dramatic, but as I watched on, I became addicted to the show. Certain things you'd thought is ridiculous does actually happen in real life. By the time I started watching the show had already moved on to the second generation.

It tells you how the sins of the father is paid by his children, it tells you why you shouldn't lie, it tells you why you shouldn't take a human life etc etc. Things we would learn in bible or moral studies. I don't know how to tell you but there is just an addictive element to it ( and I am sure it is the aim of ALL TV series) and I would find myself making sure that I will be home by 1800 hrs to watch the show or otherwise the rerun at 0000hrs.

My second brother Juu Go Dai Hiko Seijuuro was the first of my 3 siblings to catch on to the series. He was back from the Land of Oz for the summer holidays and was very intrigued by our topic of discussion over dinner. Hiko asked me after dinner who we were talking about and was incredulous to find that we were actually talking about TV characters! So he was introduced to the show. Initially he too find it strange to be watching a Minan show but then soon he'dbe in front of the TV by 1800 asking for my translation and fuming over what the baddies evil deeds. I would update him on the story after he left but after 2 years he kind of gave up.

Then came my little brother Akatsuki no sousui sama. Same initial reaction and in the end, locked in front of TV and reading Malay translation. He's back in Australia now and is too busy with his culinary course to be indulging on updates.

Finally bro number one Kurei came back for his summer break and was inevitably introduced to the show. He being the fiercest all time critic, all I can say is that we would send smses to each other during the airing of some episodes and he is absolutely incensed with one of the loser characters and in total worship of another.

For the benefit of my brothers I have searched for and posted some pictures of some of the main characters I obtained from some of the chinese websites.

Kurei, you have NO idea what I went through to get pictures of the WORM. His pictures were the hardest to find!

意難忘


Scene from opening credits of the show



Wang Sheng Tien, one of the main characters


Wang Shen Tien and his on again, off again wife Fang Li Zhu


My aunt's favourites character (now deceased) Lim Ta Jong


The most pathetic girl in the show, Wang Ting Ting. Her life is just full of crap.



Ting Ting and her crazy arse husband, who eventually committed suicide.


Sheng Tian's son, Wang Tien Zhu and his on again off again wife Chen San Ni (He is the LOSER that Kurei was talking about. These days when Kurei watches him in action he just wants to take a flight to Taiwan and finish him off himself)


From left to right, Brother Chow, Mei Yu and Du Wen Jie aka Michael aka The Worm. Kurei thinks he is the coolest baddie on the show who will go down with guns blazing.




The Worm and the only other woman he loved other than his wife (Lim Jia Jia)


The Mai family. They're cool.


Last but not least, my favourite spiritually reformed baddie of all time, Chua jin Pao. He rocks man!

It is funny how we all got hooked on this show. Well that is because we all thought that Hockkien or Minan shows are not comparable to Hong Kong or Korean series in terms of content and cast. We were proven so wrong. My mom and I watch at least 3-4 Minan shows on weeknights from 1800-0000 hours.

That, ladies and gentlemen is a lesson on underestimation.

Last but not least, a big thank you to my aunt in KL who brought this show to us. Hehehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment